Established in 1946 after the war, by fifteen area men to provide gifts for poor and orphaned kids. To bring some Christmas spirit to the village, the men pooled funds from their Army separation pay to provide gifts on Christmas Eve for the children. Thus began the first Santa Claus Club in the nation.
Part of the original New Netherland, the first European settlers were the Dutch who settled Kinderhook around 1665, and named this area "Vaaltje", which translates to "little falls". Valatie's historic Main Street enjoys waterfalls on both entrances. The first post office was established in 1832.
Visit the Village of Valatie's collection of early Valatie photographic prints from archived glass negatives held in the collection of the Columbia County Historical Society, printed and presented by the Village of Valatie, exclusive copyright holder of the collection of images, by generous donation of resident, Guy Gamello.